Final Fantasy X-2.5, or Square Enix is Ruining Basically Everything

By Zack Wheat on January 3rd, 2014 (22 comments)

Take a deep breath.

Square Enix has released Final Fantasy X-2.5, a novel fitting ambiguously into the timeline of Final Fantasy X and X-2, to coincide with the release of the HD remaster. Worrying is the presence of a cliffhanger ending, indicating the possibility of a Final Fantasy X-3; maddening is the novel’s content.

Spoilers follow.

According to various reports compiled by a few sources, the novel’s plot follows protagonists Tidus and Yuna two days after Tidus’ resurrection. Tidus is a little out of it for obvious reasons, but this apparently angers Yuna and they have fallen out of love. The two are shipwrecked on an island, and following an argument, Tidus goes to kick a blitzball found on the beach in anger. This blitzball turns out to be a bomb, and Tidus blows up.

Yeah.

Reports are a little messy from here on out, but the rundown seems to be that Yuna revives him, as Tidus is now made up of pyreflies and she has control over them. Reviving an unsent causes issues with the Farplane, and so basically everyone comes back to life, Sin included.

I don’t know, man.

Specific details will be firmed up over time, but the book’s Amazon page is currently flooded with angry one-star reviews as outraged fans voice their displeasure with the product. Setting aside the pointless, manufactured drama brought about by mutilating a core character relationship and the assault on series lore and canon (let’s not even get started on how little sense a revived Sin makes), other issues revolve around the book’s uncomfortably morbid, gruesome, and sexual content.

Some reports are coming in that Tidus’ death is accompanied by details of his dismembered head flying at Yuna, for example, and out-of-place sexual innuendos abound. Murmurs of the latter range from Tidus commenting that he won’t be able to focus on battle due to Yuna’s “sexiness,” to rumors of a necrophilic scene in which Yuna has sex with Tidus (who, at this point, should be dead) in order to revive the Fayth.

The nitty-gritty details can only be pieced together through corroboration at this point for those of us unable to read the book, but enough can be seen at this point that what has happened here is… not too good. Worse still, the book is actually written by Kazushige Nojima, who penned Final Fantasy X itself. It is startling and perplexing, then, that this is where he would choose to take the universe and characters.

I have canceled my pre-order for the X/X-2 HD release at this point. We vote with our wallets, and it’s not hard to imagine that sales will dictate whether or not X-3 is viable.

If you’ll excuse me, I think I have a headache.

Tags: final fantasy x, Final fantasy x-2, final fantasy x-25, Square Enix

Zack Wheat

Zack Wheat is the Lead Writer at 4Player and fights the urge every day to make sweeping statements about video games using as many words as possible. He has an unbridled love for anything Metal Gear or Ace Attorney, a fondness for JRPGs, and a bias towards Atlus games. Follow him on Twitter, because he loves you.

• Necbromancer 6 months, 2 weeks ago

If there was ever a better example of corporate personhood, I haven't seen it. Clearly Squeenix has become old, senile, and demented.

• CyborgMaid 6 months, 2 weeks ago

The funny thing is that the people who complain about the book are probably the same people who write slash fiction about Tidus getting a taste of Cloud's buster sword. Uncomfortably morbid content sounds wonderful. Let Yuna have sex with Tidus corpse all she want. No one actually liked him anyways right? Nothing of any significant value was lost imo. I rather see this then just another FF game. Go nuts. But in the end, yeah it will probably suck no matter what..

• Martin 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Sorry... what???? The fuck is square enix thinking?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

• Frank Hartnett 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Well, Tidus IS stupid enough to mistake a bomb for a blitzball.

• theottomatic91 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Is it so hard for people not to buy games they don't like? For me there was final fantasy 10 and that's it then I moved on to the next numbered title.

• PrideSwine 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Necrophilia, you say? Hmm...

• SuperCeller2 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I can not compute this. My brain has been broken. May God have mercy on our souls for Square Enix will have none.

• Houkito 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I really wanted this to be a joke or just an attempt at trolling but it looks like it's real. I'm just at a loss for words at this point. What the fuck.

• Nadia (Reborn) 6 months, 2 weeks ago

WAIT BUT WHAT ABOUT FFX-2 LAST MISSION WHERE IT WAS LIKE A COUPLE OF MONTHS AFTER THE ENDING OF X-2 AND YUNA WAS LIKE "YAH TIDUS AND I ARE TIGHT, YO." This isn't real. This is too stupid to be real.

• Joseph 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Its not it was accidentally printed it was a fan made version http://www.p4rgaming.com/square-enix-accidentally-publishes-fanfiction-for-the-final-fantasy-x-2-5-novel/#sthash.mqKwsm65.dpuf

• DrGonzo2 6 months, 2 weeks ago

As if the plot to FFX wasn't stupid and horrible enough...though I'm still wanting to buy the HD remakes since I've been wanting to try the games out.

• UltimaLegend14 6 months, 2 weeks ago

-laughs the tidus laugh-

• Zladko 6 months, 2 weeks ago

HA HA HA HA HA HA

• J52 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Then Yuna meets her TRUE love: Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Moom 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Who is roommates with Rainbow Dash.

• Joseph 6 months, 2 weeks ago

http://www.p4rgaming.com/square-enix-accidentally-publishes-fanfiction-for-the-final-fantasy-x-2-5-novel/ It was a fan version made up that was accidentally put up for print. It explains on this page if you consider reading it that is.

• Zack Wheat 6 months, 2 weeks ago

That is a parody web site. Other highlights of theirs include an article claiming Gabe Newell is pushing for more social networking in Half-Life 3 (http://www.p4rgaming.com/gabe-newell-i-can-say-pretty-much-anything-and-people-will-still-support-me/), one featuring the creators of Gone Home stating "Sometimes I feel like people are praising our game just so they can look contrarian" (http://www.p4rgaming.com/gome-home-creators-confused-why-people-would-choose-gone-home-as-their-game-of-the-year/), and a GOTY award for Battlefield 4 because "If [China] hates this game, then there must be something in it for freedom-loving gamers like us" (http://www.p4rgaming.com/play4reals-game-of-the-year-awards-2013-sponsored-by-battlefield-4/).

• ChaiThai 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd also like to point out the GOTY awards are listed as "Game of the Year 2013: Sponsored by Battlefield 4"

• Shiro 6 months, 2 weeks ago

This looks a type of trolling or what the hell, but I don't understand the why have to cancel your pre-order for FF X/X-2 HD, I mean we're talking about that book X-2.5 of which I would burn it, but X and X-2 are not bad, both are a game from some 10 years ago, and worth play them, they became in my favorite Final Fantasy and thanks to them I met the FF world saga, but.. as I said is game from some 10 years, but was famous and that's why they are making a HD ver, but now I don't know who the hell from Square Enix but are destroying the story and maybe just because we have our atention in X/X-2 hd remaster they wanna make a X-3 but taking down everything what happened in the previous games ;A; I think you should play X/X-2 but ignore everything else about this book and X-3

• Chrissaviour 6 months, 2 weeks ago

lol this is great.

• Shazza1990 6 months, 2 weeks ago

... What? What the hell Square Enix?

• OlMuttonchops 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally something good came out of FFX.