Rise of the Triad Returning with Unreal Engine 3
By Joseph Christ on August 2nd, 2012 (4 comments)
QuakeCon is currently underway and during the opening bell Apogee Software and Interceptor Entertainment have announced a new Rise of the Triad game coming to PC through Steam.
For the uninitiated, Rise of the Triad was a first-person shooter PC game from back in 1995 by Apogee/3D Realms that garnered itself a loyal cult following. The original ROTT followed a standard Doom philosophy of gameplay popular with shooters at the time (until Half Life changed all of that in 1998) and had the player choosing one of five special H.U.N.T. (High-risk United Nations Task-force) operatives as they went from level to level killing everything in their path.
The new Rise of the Triad seems to be taking a similar approach of old-school gameplay by keeping the spirit of the original but adding a new coat of luscious pant. I especially like how the item pickups are still giant spinning items in the game world, a mechanic that few devs -except for maybe Suda51- still utilize in 'core' gaming.
The official press release is riddled with bullet-points about the new game including;
- Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone's favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve's Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!
It all sounds very nice indeed, and you can see from the trailer below that they're on the right track. (Note: I LOVE it when he reloads his dual pistols by not touching the clips)
Joseph Christ is the Reviews Editor and a Podcast Personality at 4Player. Specializing in reviews, editorials, drinking, and saying inappropriate things about gaming franchises that are beloved by millions, his satirical and sometimes edgy style offsets a more serious and penetrating substance lurking below the surface. He is also the host of the Cocktail Time Podcast. You'll follow his Twitter if you know what's good for you.
|Follow Us||Back to the Top|
Log in or sign up