Ten Minutes of Dead Island Gameplay Footage

By Tim Bacani on May 23rd, 2011 (50 comments)

Deep Silver's brand manager Vincent Kummer takes us through some of the gameplay features in their up-and-coming zombie action game Dead Island.

Kummer outlines the campaign as quest based. Players will acquire quests from survivors that are holed up in the designated safe hubs on various parts of the island. Outside of the safety of these hubs lie the island's zombified denizens.

To defend yourself you have access to a wide variety of ranged and melee weapons. The damage and attributes of these weapons can be modified at workstations within the game world a la Dead Rising 2. The system appears to contain some depth since weapons actually have stats for attributes like durability and damage output.

When fighting zombies you can attack different body parts for different results. The head is the most obvious target but when dealing with faster zombies the legs will slow them down. Similarly, targeting the arms of a zombie brandishing a weapon will disarm them. When attacking the player drains a stamina bar. If its fully drained you will be left defenseless for a short period of time so attacking wildly is ill-advised.

When traveling around the island you can use any working vehicle you can get your hands on to get to your destination quickly and safely. Players also have access to a fast travel system that allows them to move between the safe hubs on the island.

As a final bullet point the story campaign offers 4 player co-op from beginning to end. Dead Island will release later this year on the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.

( Video has been removed. Sorry. :( )

Tags: Dead Island, Deep Silver

Tim Bacani

Tim Bacani is a writer at 4player. When not buried in work he's buried in video games. Follow him on Twitter.

• AdjacentKitten 2 years, 11 months ago

Ooh, how I want this game already.

• roughplague 2 years, 11 months ago

I think this is the open world zombie game we have been waiting for, looks pretty effing awesome! only thing that concerned me that he said was 'fast travel' in a survival zombie game? really?

• Balancebgm 2 years, 11 months ago

Just watched the whole ten minutes and I gotta say it looks pretty impressive. The only problem I see is that the atmosphere doesn't look scary enough, even during the rainy dark scene. It might be they didn't show the really good levels in the trailer so who knows? Lots of zombie games have been coming out and even though I love the zombie genre, I'm getting pretty bored of em. If this game can bring the atmosphere along with the open world setting then I foresee fun times ahead, but if not, then it would just be another zombie game with a few neat stuff.

• Bonzo537 2 years, 11 months ago

The reason the atmosphere isnt "scary" is because its set on a tropical island. Of course its not going to be scary otherwise people wouldnt go there on holiday. i think it captures the feeling of a destroyed paradise very effectively and i applaud them for it. Plus the video doesnt show any gameplay inside buildings which havent been locked down and without power and im sure its these areas which are going to feel much scarier

• Kurabawa 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm not convinced, really. I mean, as far as Zombie games go (let's face it, there are a few) it has potential, but the real core of whether or not it'll be a good game, for me, would be how character development is portrayed and how my interaction affects those in-game. Will I care for the survivors?... or will I just be a selfish bastard, stealing supplies and leaving people to die as I make my escape? How will my actions, either way, affect the other characters around me? Will I have moments of doubt or regret by doing or not doing something? I want tough decisions. So far, the environment looks alright (although, as Balancebgm has pointed out, not scary/dark enough), graphics are all fine and dandy, the gameplay is 'meh'... I can imagine the use of melee fighting and depth perception in-game being a frustration. I just don't think I'd enjoy it.

• AdjacentKitten 2 years, 11 months ago

Why does it sound like you want this game to be like Mass Effect? If you want an intellectual experience, this is the wrong place to search for it. If you want to maim some zombies with a group of friends in a persistent world, then this is the right place for it. Maybe you just can't comprehend the audience this game is targeted at. I want bash through some zombies that aren't paper-mache, and I want to do it with as large an axe, alongside my friends who also want to charge some cannibalistic zombehs. Maybe you just don't understand at all...

• Kurabawa 2 years, 11 months ago

Why can't you have both? Zombie maiming *AND* an actual thought provoking experience? The market is full of Zombie maiming fun, a la Left for Dead, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Dead Nation, CoD: Zombies, etc, etc, etc... Whilst sticking to a specific target market is nice, it makes more sense to try and introduce another type of player to this genre by offering something that hasn't happened before in previous Zombie survival games. This was a really good opportunity to take that initial basis and really expand on it, but I can't help but see that it's probably going to fall into the same pace/structure as previous games, which saddens me.

• Waari 2 years, 11 months ago

"And say like : UUH it is nice and quiet here!"

• tim 2 years, 11 months ago

sexy!

• NinjaTwinkie 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm in love. But I'm kinda getting "Far Cry 2 with zombies" vibes from it, which could be a disaster... I guess only time will tell.

• fgfgfghkkgl 2 years, 11 months ago

jhggffc

• 1mr.boy 2 years, 11 months ago

Not sure how I feel yet, it's too early to tell what direction this will take, but it looks like the game is trying to be a bethseda game with zombies. Not sure how it will work? we havn't realy had a deep zombie game, mabey for a reason. From a technecal standpoint the animations from what I can tell look pretty outdaded and added in to give the game an rpg feel. Not feeling good about this game.

• Rendrak 2 years, 11 months ago

Even if the game is shit, co-op will save it for me. I've never played an open-world game with co-op that I didn't enjoy.

• Rhineville 2 years, 11 months ago

All hopes I had for this game to be somewhat serious in tone and to stand out from the glut of "silly" zombie games were utterly mangled when she THREW A SPIKED BAT AT A PROPANE TANK TO MAKE IT EXPLODE. Also; "mainly the game is about melee combat because it's more realistic" yes, using an electric machete sure is realistic. I'm not trying to be the guy who needs everything in a game to be serious and real, but we have enough zombie games that are gamey and funny and over the top. I want a zombie game that's more like the classic zombie movies; scary. I just wish these guys would admit to themselves that this is one of those games. Putting such silly shit in a setting/story that the creators want to sell as realistic just works against itself. The main selling points to me were the serious tone (which may make for a great story experience) and the solid melee/rpg gameplay. Looking at the video, the game doesn't seem to have either. A knife with C4 on it that explodes when it hits a zombie? Christ they could at least google to see how C4 actually works...

• Bonzo537 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow. This game looks absoloutly amazing. And to all those people that are saying it looks stupid because its not realistic. Your missing the whole point. ZOMBIES DONT EXIST so of course its not going to be realistic, yet you pick out things like "electric weapons" and "Exploding knifes" to be the most unrealistic. i think those are good things to add it because it will add variety to the game and how you play it.

• Rhineville 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm missing the point? I think MY point flew a little over your head; You know the movie 28 days later? It's a pretty intense and serious movie. It's all about frantic survival, the loss of hope and morality during a time of crisis. Imagine for a second that one of the protagonists threw a coconut he was using for a melee weapon at a gas station and it ignited, burning the zombies around him.... Even though the zombies aern't real and it didn't actually happen, you'd probably leave the theater, because it doesn't jive with the TONE of the movie. This game is rendered realistically, with a setting and cast of characters that seems to be a decent facsimile of real life. Just because the threat they're dealing with isn't probable it doesn't mean that all of a sudden chewing gum turns into nitroglycerin and joe blo learns the kaioken. Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean EVERYTHING becomes fantastic. For variety; why not just throw a Molotov, or a found grenade? Why can't the machete become expertly sharpened rather than electrified? If the only thing the dev can do to add variety is to mess with the tone of the game then they haven't done a very good job. lastly; of COURSE you can have these things in a game, and of course games can be silly and over the top. The thing is, nothing else about this game is exaggerated and as a story/mission-driven rpg, the atmosphere and style of the game is a big part of what makes it what it is. Remove the story and atmosphere from Morrowind and what do you get? One of the worst hack-and-slash games ever. Add it back and it's a real adventure. This game? The gameplay looks iffy, leaving it to rely on the adventure, atmosphere and style, and we already know how I feel about that...

• kyosti 2 years, 11 months ago

Was anyone else unaware that this was coming to the ps3? I was pleasantly surprised.

• RedAma131 2 years, 11 months ago

Im liking this game. Im not into the zombie craze that much but this game looks sweet.

• SonyXp82 2 years, 11 months ago

It's looking interesting, just have to wait till E3 now to hear more & it would be nice to see some 4 player co-op in action.

• mydawghatesme 2 years, 11 months ago

Damage counters, open world, EXP, character interaction......I am excited.

• UltimaInferno 2 years, 11 months ago

It looks good, looks like it'll be similar to Fallout and Borderlands, just more melee weapons. I do like the fact that you can dismember them.

• Conish 2 years, 11 months ago

After such an interesting trailer, the game turn out to be boring... What a surprise. It looked like it was going to be a cool survival horror but now it's just a smash shit with a baseball bat game. Very disappointing.

• DavetheZombie 2 years, 11 months ago

I kinda agree. It feels more or less L4Dish combat system though you focus more on hitting the head. There's also not enough zombies on screen at one time. I dislike that you have to take on each zombie individually, rather than getting to slaughter them freely as you please. It feels like theres 0 amount of horror factor in there. Given you have all the crazy and kooky weapons like the electric machete, it seems a little too silly. It's not that it's unrealistic, but it's very uninteresting. The only thing that'd give me some incentive to try it out is the co-op and the exploring the open world. Other than that, it doesn't seem to be all too unique.

• OlMuttonchops 2 years, 11 months ago

This game is looking pretty cool, but game developers need to use something other than zombies in their games. The zombie fad has worn thin and every time I hear a game has zombies in it I immediately lose interest. It's similar to the "platformers with talking animals" fad of the previous generations.

• Carlos 2 years, 11 months ago

Little numbers jumping off of enemies? GOTY. I believe this was brought up in a past Cocktail time podcast where it was discussed that numbers jumping off of enemies' bodies make everything better.

• Soulglove 2 years, 11 months ago

Someone mentioned this once, but how about numbers made of blood splattering against surfaces?

• Bloodgatts 2 years, 11 months ago

I want a game based off of the zombie survival guide. This game has some potential. Though the tone of the game is different than what was implied in the trailer, I mean you're blowing up explosive canisters by throwing baseball bats at them, co-op is probably the only thing so far that's keeping me somewhat interested.

• TheRoosterIllusion 2 years, 11 months ago

I want a game based off of World War Z.

• Damien 2 years, 11 months ago

Boner

• Yodaral 2 years, 11 months ago

Now all I have to hope for is the ability to duct tape machine guns to an electric wheelchair. I wonder, if it is open world with vehicles, will there be a sweet customization system so that everyone can build their own zombie smashing bus with spikes and chainsaw wings? I sure hope so.

• J52 2 years, 11 months ago

It's like Dead Rising 2 meets the newer Fallouts. Me like.

• ex_machina 2 years, 11 months ago

Naysayers are nuts. So far, this is looking promising. It's almost like a tactical game in the sense you have to remember to cut heads off so they don't get up again/save the first blow for more powerful zombs. Kinda wish they would implement a Fallout: NV hardcore mode where you had to drink eat find shelter etc. Only complaint; the boomer-esque dude is overdone. C'mon Deep Silver, unique unique unique.

• CocoPanda 2 years, 11 months ago

I must get this game, me gusta.

• Tuna Sandwich 2 years, 11 months ago

For so long my buddies and i have been talking about making an open world zombie game. And here it is. Can't wait. I wonder if there is any element of stealth in this game, like sneaking past a group of zombies.

• SiShenDao 2 years, 11 months ago

...I was really hoping for more explanation on the skill/level and the weapon creation systems but this is nice too.

• Comradebearjew 2 years, 11 months ago

Looks pretty cool, really like the open world. Also, vehicles!!

• Aged Milk 2 years, 11 months ago

Most anticipated game of 2011 for me. I've noticed a trend her though, rather than people looking at the game and accepting it for what it is and what it has to offer, they're simply scouring it for what it is. Left 4 Dead puts too much emphasis on special infected for my test. Dead Rising's controls and mechanics are terrible and often create an unnecessary tension. This game seems to capture what I was expecting and hoping for from both of those titles. The quest and leveling system reminds me of Borderlands as well though. This may not be the game YOU want if you were looking for a serious zombie RPG. But it does more to set the ground work than Dead Rising and L4D ever did.

• Tmak94 2 years, 11 months ago

I like the mechanic where she toughens up gradually by killing zombies, like how Iji did it. Anyone? Anyone else remember Iji? Wow, I feel old...

• The Nibblonian 2 years, 11 months ago

Looks like it has potential, but it will probably never come out in Australia :(

• Minyme 2 years, 11 months ago

looks like a great idea, but many times great ideas dont actually play well :/

• Gysomx 2 years, 11 months ago

Not what I was expecting but whatever. It looks great.

• lemith 2 years, 11 months ago

The gameplay looks a little off, i hope they tune it up....

• Aromanx 2 years, 11 months ago

looked nice and reallistic....till she started using an elec machete.....

• Birdseyex 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm a lot more excited for this game after actually seeing some gameplay. Looks fun, i'm mainly looking forward to the coop aspect, though. This game comes across as being a lot more fun when playing with others.

• Space Diva 2 years, 11 months ago

Judging from the demo trailer, the "normal" zombies seem way too easy to kill--much like in Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising. For instance, how their heads instantly explode from one or two hits from of a baseball bat. Zombies are scary partly because they're robust and difficult to put down, even when their limbs are being chopped off. I'm not seeing much of that here.

• CVillain 2 years, 11 months ago

From what it sounds like, it has a Borderlands-style leveling system. Hopefully they expand and improve upon that system, as I always found the Borderlands skill tree to be a bit lacking, being just "Here's this one thing that you can do" because frankly throwing a fiery bird gets old after the first 10-15 times.

• kd_battletoad 2 years, 11 months ago

looks really interesting, cant wait to try it.

• gamerjimmy 2 years, 11 months ago

This game looks like it could really up the bar on the whole zombie market. The fighting in the game makes me think of a beefed up Condemned-like style, which would work perfect with a game like this. The weapon customization looks nice, as long as those weapons aren't the only ones we can make...And the rpg-ish looking elements look like they could give this game a more unique feel than other four person co-op, zombie killing experiences (*cough* Left4Dead *cough*). I was on the fence about this game before, but after seeing the trailer and them showing me that it isn't just another, "Hey look we can kill zombies in this game"...game, I'm all for it. There looks to be a lot that you can interact with in the game and use to your advantage and if you could modify a vehicle that would be the cherry on top of what looks like a perfect sundae, but we still have to taste that sundae of course. =)

• personq 2 years, 11 months ago

it had me at open world

• Dead Island Become More Popular Survival Zombie Ga 2 years, 5 months ago

[...] #split {}#single {}#splitalign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}#singlealign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}#splittitlebox {text-align: center;}#singletitlebox {text-align: center;}.linkboxtext {line-height: 1.4em;}.linkboxcontainer {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;background-color:#eeeeee;border-color:#000000;border-width:0px; border-style:solid;}.linkboxdisplay {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;}.linkboxdisplay td {text-align: center;}.linkboxdisplay a:link {text-decoration: none;}.linkboxdisplay a:hover {text-decoration: underline;} function opensingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = ''; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = 'none'; } function closesingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = 'none'; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = ''; } Dead Island Game ReviewDead Island cheats,tips,glitches,walkthroughs,hints,and game playTen Minutes of Dead Island Gameplay Footage [...]